The Healthy Farm Index is a tool to assess and communicate the value of biodiversity and ecosystem services in farm systems.
Farm LandscapePhoto by John Quinn
Strip CroppingPhoto by Liz Sarno
WindbreaksPhoto by John Quinn
Acoustic Sampling for BirdsPhoto by John Quinn
The Healthy Farm Index includes measures of biodiversity state and function (figure below) to present a more compete measure of the biological communities in managed ecosytems.
This project was initiated in 2007 through a grant from the USDA Integrated Organic Program. Three years of work have been completed.
For more information contact:
- Quinn 2011 AESS Poster
- Quinn et al. 2010. HFI and Biodiversity
- Quinn et al. 2009. Farming Systems Design.
- Quinn et al. 2009 Farming with Grass
- Nebraska Farmer
- Prairie Fire
- SNR Research Highlights
- UNL Radio News
- The Marysville Advocate
- IANR 2009
- CASNR Class Acts 2009
- NSAS/OCIA 2008
- Improving Organic Farming Systems
- Genuine Progress Indicator
- Environmental Performance Index
- World Bird Indicators
- Discovery Farms
- Farmscape Ecology
- WRI Ecosystem Services- A Guide for Decision Makers